2023 is quickly approaching! A new year always has me feeling ready for a fresh start. I don’t know about you, but I feel like I function better physically, mentally, and spiritually in a well-organized and peaceful environment.
That means no more “doom piles” and mysterious items hiding in the back of my pantry. It’s also time to reduce the chaos in my closet.
Ready to get started?
Here are five things to consider cleaning out before the countdown to midnight begins:
- Your Closets. This one probably comes as no surprise. Clear out some space by ridding your closets of any unworn, stained, torn, or ill-fitting items that may have been hanging in your closet well before 2020. Don’t forget to purge your accessories, including jewelry and shoes.
- Your Files. You know those little piles of mail and magazines that tend to collect throughout the year? It’s time to organize and trash the items you don’t need. Find a place for important items you need to keep or consider digitizing your files and shredding the items you do not need anymore.
- Your Fridge and Pantry. It’s time to clear out all the holiday leftovers and check your pantry for expired items. Take time to check the dates on everything in your fridge and get rid of expired items. It’s also a great time to wipe off the shelves and drawers, ridding those spaces of anything that can create unwanted smells leading into the new year.
- Your Medicine Cabinet. When was the last time you organized your medicine cabinet and checked expiration dates? Take time to check all the dates and properly dispose of any old, expired medications. The FDA recommends proper disposal of medication. You can also drop off any unused or expired medications at a public disposal location.
- Your Car. Over the busy holiday season, there’s a good chance your car has become a black hole of items like gift receipts, runaway clothes, lip gloss, and trash. Clear out all trash. Return any gifts, clothes, shoes, or other items to their rightful places. Don’t forget to vacuum under your car’s seats—you never know what treasures you might find!
Be realistic in your expectations as you seek to create a well-organized oasis for yourself and your family. Don’t try to take on all five tasks in a single day; instead, use this list as a starting point as you kick off the new year with a fresh and clean start.
Juliana Wilson is the social media and influencer marketing specialist for Lifeway Women. She is passionate about encouraging women and girls to dig into God’s Word and pursue an active relationship with Christ every day. Juliana loves Instagram-worthy ice cream, coffee dates, and traveling with her husband, Ben. Look for them on NBC’s hit obstacle course show, American Ninja Warrior!